Friday 1 April 2016

Éirí Amach na Cásca (Easter Rising)

The last few weeks of March ended up being very Ireland-centric for me. And it wasn't just because of St. Patrick's Day. In fact, my St. Patrick's Day celebration this year consisted of making boozy cupcakes for my coworkers, and then hunkering down at home to watch "The Wind That Shakes The Barley" which I drank a solitary pint of Guinness. 

So, just a typical Thursday night, then? ;)

Guinness Chocolate Cupcakes with Bailey's Cream Cheese Icing.
It took a lot of will-power not to eat them all myself.
I'll never get a job as a barmaid with head like that!
What really made it an Ireland-centric month was that this past Easter weekend was the 100th Easter since the Easter Rising in Dublin (and a few isolated events in other parts of the island but mostly Dublin) so I spent a lot of my free time streaming the live stream of RTE of the centenary celebrations.

The date of Easter 100 years ago was at the end of April so some might argue that is isn't actually the 100th anniversary yet (that would be April 24, 2016) but as it's known as the Easter Rising, I'd give the centenary celebration committee a pass on actually planning everything for the Easter weekend.

Having said that, I've been working on a series of posts covering Irish history leading up to the Easter Rising and the subsequent War for Independence and Civil War which I was aiming to coincide with the April date because that's actually 100 years since the event.

Semantics.

In the mean time, if you're wondering what the Easter Rising was about and you can't wait for my much more detailed but probably considerably more boring account of it, here are two drunk Irish guys to explain it to you.


Any Questions?

(You can hear the Proclamation of the Irish Republic being read in front of the GPO as part of the centenary celebrations by clicking here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment