Saturday 28 February 2015

Live Long and Prosper

Like nerds everywhere, I was greatly saddened when I heard about the passing of Leonard Nimoy yesterday. While I didn't watch the entire Star Trek TOS until I was in my 20s, I was obsessed with The Next Generation since I first saw it when I was 10. So when I heard the news, I knew that I was spending Friday night on my couch with a six pack and Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

My first Star Trek movie had been Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home so when I finally saw The Wrath of Khan all those years ago, I didn't cry when Spock died. I knew that it was followed by Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (which overall is not a great movie but it does give us Christopher Lloyd swanning around in a cape and Klingon head gear so I give it a pass for that) and that Spock would be okay enough to swim with whales by movie 4.

But I cried last night. I cried a lot.

Mr. Nimoy, thank you for being a part of Star Trek and by extension, a part of the lives of Trekkies every where.


No comments:

Post a Comment