Friday 11 July 2014

Happy Friday!

I had no intention of blogging today but there a few things I want to blog about but I won't be getting back on until Monday at the earliest. Crazy, awesome busy weekends are great in theory until you realise that you're going to be a five different events in 36 hours and won't be coming home during that time either. But that's what summer is for, right?

1. Groups in Canada are seriously considering a bid to host the World Cup 2026.


I found out about this today thanks to Toronto Girl West. It's amazing that I didn't scream in the office as I read it. I'm more excited about this than the Olympics coming and we're just talking about the fact that Canada is thinking about putting a bid in.

If Canada does put in a bid, I probably will vomit.

2. My cousin posted a video of an Irish (as Gaeilge) version of Lorde's Royals. It's from an Irish-language school in the Connemara region of Ireland and I discovered that they do a lot of these videos where they translate popular songs into Irish and have recorded videos for a few of them. You can find them on YouTube under TG Lurgan (the school) and Seo Linn (a group made up of some of the teachers, they're the older ones you see in the videos). Just because I can, I'm posting my two favourites.

Original song here

Original song here

It always makes me happy to see Irish being used in a way that is relevant to the younger population in Ireland. It's been a hard battle to save the language when very people actually grow up speaking it, and class room lessons so often leave the student wanting to claw their own eyes out. This is a fun way to get the younger generation interested in the language. I'll step off my soap box now.

(For the record, I speak just enough Irish to sound impressive to someone who doesn't speak Irish. In other words, I blow Canadian minds with my five sentences.)

3. While I'm a post-all-the-videos! roll, I'm going to see Only Lover Left Alive tonight.


A vampire love story with Tom Hiddleston? Yes, please!

And now I'm off for a weekend of Tom Hiddleston, baby showers, girls nights, family brunches, and (hopefully) German soccer victories.

No comments:

Post a Comment